Next Generation Science
Never before has our world been so complex and science knowledge so critical. Science understanding is key to comprehending current events, choosing and using technology, or making informed decisions about healthcare. All students – whether they become technicians in a hospital, workers in high-tech manufacturing, or science researchers – need a solid science education.
In 2013, new science standards were adopted for California’s K-12 public schools. These Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are rich in content and practice. They are arranged across disciplines and grade levels to give all students an internationally benchmarked science education.
Science Professional Development at SCOE
Once scheduled, all professional development events related to science will be shown below. If nothing is shown below, there are no upcoming classes.
|Introduction to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) & 21st Century Science (Two After-School Sessions)||09/27/2017||4:00pm-6:00pm|
|Introduction to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) & 21st Century Science (Single Day Session)||09/28/2017||8:30am-3:30pm|
|Living 21st Century Science in the NGSS Classroom (SERIES)||11/02/2017||8:30am-3:30pm|
|Living 21st Century Science in the NGSS Classroom (November ONLY)||11/02/2017||8:30am-3:30pm|
|Living 21st Century Science in the NGSS Classroom (February ONLY)||02/01/2018||8:30am-3:30pm|
Cultivating Discovery, Creation, and Possibility
In this blog post, SCOE Science Coordinator Anna Van Dordrecht talks about her trip to NASA's Langley Research Center, where she presented about maker activities and learned a great deal about the power of possibility in education.Click here to read the blog post.
- North Bay Maker Educator Meetups
Maker Educator Meetups (MEMs) are an opportunity to meet with like minded educators and learn from one another. The goals of the monthly meetups (alternating between Sonoma and Marin counties) are support, networking, and equity — bringing design and making to all youth.
- Implementing NGSS: FOSS California K–5 Summer Institute 2017 | July 25–27, 2017 | 9:00 am - 3:30 pm | Flier
- Green Ninja, an organization that builds curriculum that inspires students to design a more sustainable world,is now offering a middle school NGSS learning sequence that integrates Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science and Engineering Design into a fun and engaging semester. A summary of the standards covered and outline of each Unit is given here.
- Buck Institute Field Trips
- LiMPETS, Long-term Monitoring Program & Experimental Training for Students
- Sonoma County Astronomical Society
- KQED Quest
- Expanding Your Horizons - Sonoma County (Inspiring girls to pursue STEM careers)