Next Generation Science
Never before has our world been so complex and science knowledge so critical. Science understanding is key to comprehending current events, choosing and using technology, or making informed decisions about healthcare. All students – whether they become technicians in a hospital, workers in high-tech manufacturing, or science researchers – need a solid science education.
In 2013, new science standards were adopted for California’s K-12 public schools. These Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are rich in content and practice. They are arranged across disciplines and grade levels to give all students an internationally benchmarked science education.
Science Professional Development at SCOE
Once scheduled, all professional development events related to science will be shown below. If nothing is shown below, there are no upcoming classes.
The Hope of Science Past, Present, and Future
In this blog post, SCOE Science Coordinator Anna Van Dordrecht recounts her recent visit to NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia as part of the center's centennial celebration and reflects on a hopeful future for science rooted in the center's past Click here to read the blog post.
- Medtronic is excited to offer high school internships this summer for students 16 years old and older. If you would like to nominate a student, please email a resume and brief recommendation letter to Vanessa Harte, Medtronic Talent Acquisition Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- TeenNat Summer Internship Program at Pepperwood Preserve: Learn more and apply here
- North Bay Maker Educator Meetups
Maker Educator Meetups (MEMs) are an opportunity to meet with like minded educators and learn from one another. The goals of the monthly meetups (alternating between Sonoma and Marin counties) are support, networking, and equity — bringing design and making to all youth.
- Green Ninja, an organization that builds curriculum that inspires students to design a more sustainable world, is now offering a middle school NGSS learning sequence that integrates Earth Science, Life Science, Physical Science and Engineering Design into a fun and engaging semester. A summary of the standards covered and outline of each Unit is given here.
- Buck Institute Field Trips
- LiMPETS, Long-term Monitoring Program & Experimental Training for Students
- Sonoma County Astronomical Society
- KQED Quest
- Expanding Your Horizons - Sonoma County (Inspiring girls to pursue STEM careers)
- National Weather Service: Learn Science and Safety