The Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) maintains a centralized substitute teacher database and individuals interested in substitute teaching in Sonoma County must register through SCOE’s credentials office. Applicants must hold a current, valid teaching credential or obtain an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit to become a substitute teacher.
Appointments are required for meetings with the Credentials Clerk
Credentials will be closed November 23rd and 24th for Thanksgiving Break. Credentials will also be closed Monday, November 27th.
Please ensure you have designated Sonoma County as your Last Known County of Employment via your Educator Page at www.ctc.ca.gov by completing the following steps:
- Proceed to www.ctc.ca.gov
- Click on “Credentialing Information"
- Click on "Educator Login"
- Login with your user name and password
- Click "Add or Change Personal Information"
- Verify personal information is correct and ensure you have "Sonoma County" selected as your Last Known County of Employment.
- Click "Save"
Substitute orientations are held at SCOE to explain the permit process and other requirements for substitute teaching in Sonoma County. Attendance at a substitute orientation is mandatory for individuals seeking substitute teaching positions. There is limited seating, so please access the SCOE Class List to register for the next available substitute orientation session.
Interested candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher and have completed the Basic Skills Requirement. For more information regarding the Basic Skills Requirement, please refer to leaflet CL-667: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl667.pdf. Application packets are available only at the orientation sessions.
Sonoma State University students may be able to attend a substitute orientation session on the SSU campus. Contact the SSU School of Education or SCOE credentials office for details.
Acceptance of substitute applications
Substitute application packets will be accepted by appointment only. Please call (707) 524-2681 to schedule an appointment.
Overview of Requirements
- A valid credential (teaching, pupil services, administrative) or Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) is required to substitute in Sonoma County. For information about obtaining or renewing these credentialing documents, visit www.ctc.ca.gov.
- If you don’t already hold a valid credential or permit but are eligible for a 30-day sub permit (that is, if you have a BA or higher and have passed a California basic skills test such as CBEST or CSET with the writing portion), we will explain how to obtain a permit at the substitute orientation. You will need official transcripts to apply to the CTC for a sub permit.
- If you do not hold a CA Credential or Sub Permit, then you will need to meet the Basic Skills Requirement. Please reference the following link for more information: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl667.pdf
- Child Abuse Mandated Reporter Training is required for new hires, with annual recertification required for all substitutes prior to the start of each school year.
- All other requirements will be discussed at the substitute orientation.
Resources for Substitutes
If you want to work for a new district, you must contact that district directly.
Bloodborne pathogens training
To ensure that all substitute teachers are properly informed about bloodborne pathogens, the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) offers a training video and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kit to all substitutes registered through SCOE. This training is provided during the mandatory substitute orientation sessions (call (707) 524-2681 to register). PPE kits may be obtained when you submit your substitute paperwork.
Substitute training and resources from STEDI
A substitute training is offered by STEDI (formerly the Substitute Teaching Institute at Utah State University). This training, SubSkills, is an excellent tool for new Substitutes as well as veteran teachers. The STEDI website is www.stedi.org.
Reference materials and forms
The following documents are available as PDFs.
Applicant Disclosure of Misconduct
Child Abuse and Reporting Act
Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, State Form DE 4
Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate, Federal W-4 Form
Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
Public School Districts in Sonoma County
Substitute Teacher Job Description
Substitute Teacher Online Training: STEDI Instructions
TB Risk Assessment Questionnaire
Issued or renewed credentials and permits
When you receive or renew your credential or substitute permit from CTC, please make sure that you submit a copy of your credential to the districts that you are working for. Note that SCOE no longer reissues sub verification forms when credentials, TB clearances, or Mandated Reporter certificates are updated.
Substitute teaching in SCOE classrooms
There is a special application process in place for substituting in SCOE Alternative Education, Career Technical Education, and Special Education programs. Please reference the information regarding Substitute Teaching in SCOE Classrooms.