Sonoma County public schools employ nearly 8,000 people. About half of these employees are teachers. Administrators, teaching assistants (also known as para-professionals), and various support staff are also employed by the schools.
Employment at SCOE
Information about job openings at the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) is available online, by phone, or in person.
For online information: To access online job listings, review job descriptions, and submit job applications over the Internet, visit the Sonoma County Office of Education section of the EdJoin website.
To request or pick up information: Job descriptions and application forms may be requested by phone or picked up at the Sonoma County Office of Education. For certificated positions, call (707) 524-2677. For classified positions, call (707) 524-2730. The SCOE office is located at 5340 Skylane Boulevard, Santa Rosa.
Applications for employment are accepted by mail, fax (707-524-2950), hand delivery, and online through the statewide EdJoin website. Applications are always due in the Human Resources office by 4:30pm on the closing date for the position. A postmark is NOT sufficient to meet this deadline. A SCOE application form is required for all vacancies.
About Sonoma County: For information about living and working in Sonoma County, the Sonoma County Connections website highlights local education resources, health care choices, history and culture of Sonoma County, and profiles of local communities.
SCOE Hiring Procedures
- A paper screening panel evaluates the materials submitted by each applicant and determines which candidates qualify for the position. Top candidates from the paper screening are invited to participate in an oral exam.
- Candidates are contacted for the oral exam and applicants not passing paper screening are notified in writing.
- Successful candidates from the oral exam are placed on the employment list. Candidates must pass both the paper screening and the oral exam to be included on the employment list.
- The hiring manager interviews the top three candidates and conducts reference checks.
- The hiring manager recommends a specific candidate to the head of the division. If approved, the candidate’s name is forwarded to the Human Resources department and the position is offered to the candidate.
- Fingerprint and TB clearance are completed and, when required, a physical exam is obtained.
- Once a job offer has been made and a candidate completes all clearance, he/she begins work.
Employment in Sonoma County Schools
Sonoma County’s 40 school districts are independent of the Sonoma County Office of Education. Each district has its own application and selection procedures, and does its own recruiting and hiring, for both certificated and classified positions.
For job openings in Sonoma County’s elementary and secondary school districts, please contact the district offices directly. SCOE’s online district directory provides easy access to the addresses, phone numbers, and Web addresses for all 40 local districts. Note that some districts post job openings and support an online application process on their own websites. The statewide EdJoin website also includes job postings for many Sonoma County school districts.
Other Employment Resources
- STRS Retirement Counseling: Call (800) 228-5453 to make an appointment with a STRS counselor at SCOE
- Professional Growth Advisement is available for teachers who don’t have an adviser in their district: Contact Jeffrey Heller, Ed.D., (707) 524-2729
- Proficiency Testing for Assistants: Call (707) 524-2730