Celebrate Public Schools Week, May 4-11
04/27/2012 - The public is invited to attend Sonoma County’s Public Schools Week celebrations, May 4-11, in Santa Rosa and Petaluma. The week-long event features displays of student work, student performances, and presentations showcasing innovative school programs.
Santa Rosa activities:
The Santa Rosa event takes place in Coddingtown Mall. Twenty-four Sonoma County districts are participating, representing 85 local schools.
- A wine and cheese reception will kick off Public Schools Week on May 4, from 4:00pm to 5:30pm. A $5 donation is requested. The reception takes place at the South Center Mall.
- Live student performances will be presented Friday, May 4 at 4:00pm; Sunday, May 6, from 12:00 to 6:00pm; Thursday, May 10, from 2:00 to 6:00pm; and Friday, May 11, beginning at noon. Performances take place at the South Center Mall. See the Santa Rosa Performance Schedule (pdf) for more information.
- Tables displaying school information and student work will be open from Friday, May 4, at 4:00pm, through Friday, May 11, at 4:00pm.
- Participating districts include Alexander Valley, Bellevue, Bennett Valley, Cloverdale, Cotati-Rohnert Park, Forestville, Geyserville, Harmony, Healdsburg, Kenwood, Mark West, Monte Rio, Oak Grove, Old Adobe, Piner-Olivet, Rincon Valley, Roseland, Santa Rosa City, Sebastopol, West Side, West Sonoma County Union High, Windsor, and Wright.
- Additional information is available on the Public Schools Week Facebook page or by contacting Stacie Post-Sheffer, (707) 524-2813 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Petaluma event is being held in the Theater District, at the corner of Second and C Streets, in space donated by Basin Street Properties. Representatives from Petaluma area schools and districts are participating.
- Displays of student work and tables with school information will be on display from 3:00 to 8:00pm each day, May 4-11. Representative from the participating districts will also be available to talk with visitors.
- School bands and choral groups with perform at various times during the week.
The goal of Public Schools Week is to shine a spotlight on the diverse talent and accomplishments of the students and educational programs available in Sonoma County. The event is coordinated by the California Teachers Association, Sonoma County Association of School Administrators, Sonoma County Educators Council, California School Employees Association, and other education groups and associations.