EL Authorization Coursework
- Bilingual Authorization (formerly known as BCLAD certification) allows teachers to provide instruction in a student’s primary language. Language Other Than English (LOTE) is the training and exam program that supports Bilingual Authorization. The preparation course offered by SCOE consists of 30 hours of instruction and is generally taken after the completion of the CTEL coursework and examination. The LOTE is a subtest of the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET).
- English Learner Authorization (formerly known as CLAD certification) allows teachers to serve English learners in mainstream, sheltered, and English Language Development (ELD) classes. California Teachers of English Learners (CTEL) is the training and testing program that leads to the English Learner Authorization. SCOE offers a 60-hour CTEL preparation course that provides intensive training for teachers who are preparing to take the CTEL exam. Highlighting a variety of topics, techniques, and strategies, this training explores current research, socio-cultural factors, state regulations, second-language acquisition and methodology, literacy development, content area instruction through sheltered English instruction, comparative/contrastive linguistics, and English language development.
- This certificate is authorized by Senate Bill 1292 as an alternative to the English Learner Authorization for vocational and career technical education teachers holding a designated subjects or service credential. Through SB 1292 training, teachers learn to provide Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE) to second-language learners within the subject matter content of their instruction. Teachers must have a designated subjects or service credential and meet specific eligibility requirements to participate in this 45-hour training. Single-subject and multiple-subject credentialed teachers are not eligible for this program.
Spanish Language Classes
Spanish classes offered by SCOE
- Teachers working to increase their Spanish language fluency may enroll in the Spanish language classes offered by SCOE. Classes are scheduled in various locations each semester and include beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels of instruction. The summer Spanish Institute is an immersion program that provides intensive Spanish language instruction and cultural awareness training.
- Imelda Padilla, Program Technician I